Monday, December 14, 2009

Applying the Perception of Beauty to Our Lives

Research on the perception of beauty across cultures can be applied to people’s everyday lives by giving us a better understanding of cultures unlike our own. It is important to have an understanding of other cultures so that when we are around people of these cultures, we respect them and do not act in any way to offend them. As the Indian culture is becoming more and more popular in the western media with Bollywood movies and dances, it is important for the western society to be able to have a sense of respect for this entertainment. Westerners may be able to see why the entertainment is perceived as beautiful in the Indian culture and they may even be able to appreciate it. The same can be said for America’s culture influencing India. Even though this has been going on for a while, the Indian culture can learn to appreciate America’s perception of beauty. Appreciation for both cultures makes one better rounded and in my eyes, only has benefits.

It is important to learn about other people’s cultures because I realized how much of the world is not seen through one who lives without the knowledge of the way others live. One who does not have an understanding of other cultures may be strongly close-minded. I have now realized how materialistic the western culture is, and how down-to-earth Indian culture may be. Although I did not think of myself as judgmental before researching, I will continue to not be judgmental toward people of different cultures. Even though I cannot change the way the media is, I can now change the way I perceive others. I believe that although beauty can be seen all around externally, it really comes from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment